Monday, April 22, 2024

Red-Hair'd Galanthis

Whilst searching out other things today I came across this passage.



It's a translation from Ovid's Metamorphoses. Galanthis was a servant of Alcmene, who assisted her during the birth of Heracles. She was turned into a weasel (or cat) as punishment for defying the gods. Here she's described as "Red-hair'd". Likewise, on the Wikipedia page it's stated her hair was "red-gold".

I've looked up the original text.
una ministrarum, media de plebe, Galanthis,
flava comas, aderat, faciendis strenua iussis,
'Flava comas' means blonde hair. Flava, in Latin, meaning yellow, or golden. So I'm not quite sure where the redness comes from. Though, as ever, exact meanings and context are difficult to pin down.

There are other references to Galantis, so I'll try to look those up.

[A little time later..]

I couldn't find any further references to hair colour, sadly. So, for now, we'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment