Sunday, April 21, 2024

The Annunciation - Mikhail Nesterov (/..plus another redheaded Jesus)

Yesterday, as I was writing the Virgin Mary article, I came across this image that caught my eye.

The Annunciation

It's from the Marfo-Mariinsky Convent (Martha and Mary Convent), a woman's convent in Moscow, and is by the artist Mikhail Nesterov. It shows Mary, wearing blue, her hair covered, being told she's to be the mother of Jesus, by the angel Gabriel.

Gabriel, in the image, appears to be female and has red hair.


Then, as I was writing this article (literally just now), I came across this image.


It's an icon on the outer front of the Marfo-Mariinsky Convent, showing a Jesus with dark red hair. (I'm not sure who the artist was.)

(This is what happens when you go down Wikipedia rabbit holes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment